Illustration from the CCP-backed 'Global Times' op-ed 'Strategic Competition Act further pushes China-US ties toward confrontation.'
BIG IDEA | ‘The bill is full of Cold War mentality and ideological prejudice, wantonly misinterpreting, slandering and discrediting China's development strategy and domestic and foreign policies, and grossly interfering in China's internal affairs.’
The Xinhua News Agency is the PRC’s official state-run press agency. This editorial is representative of the Chinese reaction to the 'Strategic Competition Act.' Excerpts translated from the Chinese.
‘The U.S. Senate Foreign Affairs Committee recently passed the "Strategic Competition Act of 2021", and global public opinion was in an uproar.
- ‘The bill is full of Cold War mentality and ideological prejudice, wantonly misinterpreting, slandering and discrediting China's development strategy and domestic and foreign policies, and grossly interfering in China's internal affairs.'
‘This bill is another "example" of systematically demonizing China and poisoning Sino-US relations.'
- ‘They look at Sino-U.S. relations and international order with hegemonic thinking.’
- ‘They have tried every means to systematically suppress China in many areas, and clearly have an attempt to provoke a "new cold war" between China and the United States.’
‘This bill continues to make a big fuss on Xinjiang-related, Taiwan-related, and Hong Kong-related issues, testing China's bottom line.’
- ‘As we all know, the Taiwan issue concerns China's national sovereignty and territorial integrity, and it involves China's core interests.’
- ‘Xinjiang and Hong Kong-related issues are purely China's internal affairs, and no foreign interference is allowed.’
‘In today's world, engaging in the "new cold war" and ideological confrontation is against the trend of the times and is unpopular.’
- ‘Trying to contain China is even more wishful thinking!’