There is no shortage of commentaries about Biden’s actions and evolving policy toward China.
- What we lack is how the leadership in China views these.
And that is what makes Cheng Li’s ‘Biden’s China strategy: Coalition-driven competition or Cold War-style confrontation?' so valuable.
- Cheng has decades of close relationships with China’s leaders and high officials.
- They trust him not to attribute their comments and so speak freely and honestly to him.
- Cheng is the person I rely on most to convey China’s positions.
His essay, 'Biden’s China strategy,’ provides an excellent analysis of drivers of that policy.
- But equally important, he conveys how the Chinese are interpreting Mr. Biden’s moves.
- And the Chinese reactions are what is included here today.
I urge you, though, to read the entire 14-page essay for a complete picture from both sides.
- This is one of the most important analyses you will read.
Better understanding the Chinese point of view has changed a bit and definitely broadened my own views on how the U.S. should manage relations with China.
- Let me know if Cheng Li’s essay does the same for you.