BIG IDEA | 'Now, how does The China Daily get into The Washington Post? It gets there because the United Front Work Department of the Chinese Communist Party is funding that. And so it's a whole of society attack.
Malcolm: ‘Is there anything else you'd like to add?'
Clyde: ‘Yes. It's very hard for Americans or anybody living in a free-world country to understand the nature of the Chinese system. One way to think about it is like this:'
- ‘Imagine that the president of the United States appointed every governor. Appointed the mayor of every city. Appointed the CEO of every Fortune 500 company. Controlled all the newspapers, all of the internet companies, all of the TV broadcasting companies, and effectively wrote what they all say. That's China.'
- 'So when you hear the statement the Chinese will often say, "Oh, you're hurting the feelings of 1.4 billion Chinese." Well, China can say that because they control it. What all 1.4 billion Chinese say.'
‘Another element of this is every once in a while I pick up The Washington Post and inside what do I find? I find a copy of The China Daily, a Chinese Communist Party-backed publication.'
- 'Now, how does The China Daily get into The Washington Post? It gets there because the United Front Work Department of the Chinese Communist Party is funding that. And so it's a whole of society attack.'
'It's not just in semiconductors. It's not just in trade, or soybeans. It's a whole of society approach, and it's all over the place all the time.'
- ‘We have to understand that this is what totalitarianism is about and that's what we're facing.'
‘What that means, and that's so important, is we need to have some unity in this country. We are so at the moment divided.'
- ‘We need to recognize that, “Hey, wait a minute. We are all Americans. We all have common interests, and we need to focus on our common interests in order to have the cooperation and the policies that are effective to meet this challenge from China.” ’