Biden's China Team: President Biden has just about put his China team into place
President Biden has just about put his China team into place.
- Like former President Trump, Biden is calling for a ‘whole-of-government’ approach to confronting China challenges.
- So the team will be spread over a range of agencies and departments.
- How these will be coordinated is not entirely clear, but watch for Kurt Campbell, Coordinator for Indo-Pacific Affairs on the National Security Council, to pull a lot of that load.
To help us understand the makeup of the team, The Wire China has put together a great chart with bios of each member.
- ‘Above is a simplified organizational chart highlighting members of the Biden administration that are likely to focus on China.’
- ‘Although the President has not yet filled some key positions, or named a new U.S. Ambassador to China, we have listed 55 high ranking officials.’
- ‘The structure does not indicate who each individual reports to directly, but creates a first look at the broader team that will be charged with taking on one of the biggest foreign policy challenges of the Biden administration: how to deal with China’s rise as a strategic and economic rival.’
The article also includes short bios for each member of the team.